Monday, June 22, 2009

Cheap Entertainment Ideas

I decided today that I wanted to come up with a list of things for me to do with the kids that I either needed to check the price on or knew would be cheap. These are a couple of things I want to do with Emma and Mac this summer. Some things we will do when Daddy is off, but other things I feel comfortable doing on my own.
1. Hiking SugarLoaf Mountain


This is one thing I have never done, but I have always wanted to do. I am not sure how this will go with the kids, but it's an idea because they LOVE to be outside. I am aware that you have to ride a boat to the island before the hike, but I am not sure how much that costs. If anyone knows, please contact me!! This is an all-family event!!

2. Greers Ferry National Fish Hatchery



Emma and Mac love animals, so this is a great place to visit. We went once last year, and they both loved it. Other than the gas it takes to drive the 45 minutes to Heber Springs, the cost of this entertainment = FREE!! That's right, free. I am thinking that the day we go to the hatchery, we can pack a picnic lunch, go to the JFK Park to eat lunch down by the river, visit the Hatchery, the Dam, and the William Garner Visitor's Center. This will be something to do a day Randall is off, for sure!!

3. The Wonder Place

I learned about the Wonder Place when we attended a birthday party for Hayden Goff. It was a wonderful experience for Emma and Mac. This is a play center that is geared to children 8 and under. They have water play, sand play, drama center (dress-up and stage) and many other activities for children to participate in. You can visit their website by clicking on the banner above and look at their calendar. It tells when they will have large groups there. That will be a time I want to avoid!! Cost is $7 per person, and the 2nd adult is free. After being there once, it is well worth the money!! You can bring a lunch packed from home (they do ask that no fast food be brought) and use their tables and facilities for lunch. If you don't want to do that, they have several restaurants close by. You can leave for lunch then come back to play.


4. $1 Movies at Searcy Cinema 8

I found out about this by accident...I drove by the Cinema last week and noticed that Space Chimps was playing...that is Mac's FAVORITE movie. I called to check it out, and they have movies every Wednesday and Thursday at 11:30 for $1. That's everyone's admission. They also offer small popcorn and a small drink for $1 each. You can't beat that deal. If we go, that would be $3 for admission, $1 for popcorn (we would share) and $2 for drinks ( I have to have my own!!) for a grand total of $6 for a movie and snacks. They change the movie every week. Since we try to go to the library on Thursdays (and that's at 10:00), Wednesdays work best for us. As a matter of fact, we are having a playdate this week at the movies. This week's movie selection is...........




If you have any other great ideas for cheap entertainment, please send your ideas my way. I am always looking for something fun and CHEAP for Emma and Mac!!











No comments: