Thursday, July 2, 2009

Next Wednesday...

Emma will be having her tonsils and adnoids removed. She has had 4 or 5 sore throats in the last 3 months or so. She woke up Sunday morning with one. Her tonsils were swollen and she had pus pockets (again!!) I took her to Dr. Thomas Monday morning, and she sent us to see Dr. Hatfield on Tuesday. Dr. Hatfield is the same doctor who removed the bead from Emma's nose several months ago. We were very pleased because when he came in Tuesday, the first thing he did was try to make Emma comfortable just by talking to her. Ultimately, the choice was up to us whether to have them removed or not. He said she fit the criteria, and she would have to have them out later anyway. Since I am out of school now, we decided to go ahead and do it. The lab work was no fun (at least not for Randall). Emma is very afraid of needles (I wonder where she gets that from), and since I had held her for the strep test on Monday, I let him hold her for the lab work. While he was holding her, she bit his arm and left a huge mark. When he asked her later why she bit him (she didn't get in trouble!!), she told him that she wanted him to let her go so she could run to her mommy!!

We won't know until Monday or Tuesday what time the surgery will be. Please keep all of us, especially Emma, in your prayers. When they call Monday, I am going to ask if they can prescribe something to give her before the surgery to calm her down. If they don't, I am afraid she will have to be restrained for the IV, and I don't know how I will handle that. We will keep you updated.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Tell Emma our thoughts and prayers will be with her and you as well on Wednesday. I had it done when I was in the 4th or 5th grade. I still remember it like it was yesterday. It really was no big deal. The IV was the worst part and that really wasn't even that bad. I do remember I didn't eat anything for about a week. I was mad at my mom because she did it over my spring break. But now that I am older I am so thankful that she had it done.