Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I love vegetables!!

I love vegetables. I could go for days on end without eating meat (much to my husband's dismay!!). Growing up in the South, fried okra, fried squash, and fried potatoes were common in my house and at family get-togethers. While I still like these, I have learned that I much prefer these vegetables grilled, yes, grilled. Randall and I decided one night several years ago just to attempt to grill vegetables, and it was love at first bite!! I LOVE them!! Don't get me wrong, I still love my fried potatoes, but if I am going to have squash, zucchini, okra, or asparagus, I would rather have it grilled. Tonight I was CRAVING some veggies, but Randall is working. I decided to try my own hand (those of you who know me well know that I despise cooking!!) at fixing some veggies. I had fresh squash from the garden of one of Randall's co-workers, and some okra that was given to me from Memaw and Aunt Debbie. On parchment paper, I placed the squash and okra. I drizzled it with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil for those of you who don't watch Rachael Ray) and topped it with dried garlic chips (I didn't have much fresh garlic, and I wanted to put it in my couscous) from the Amish Store in Branson, lemon pepper seasoning, and Cavender's. I wrapped up the parchment paper (I had 5 packs) and baked them in the oven for about an hour at 350. I also decided to have some couscous with the veggies. I am not a rice eater, so couscous fills that little void for me. It's a very quick fix! The meal turned out to be delicious!!

The veggies before cooking. The little chips you see are the garlic chips.
This is the best kind of couscous I've found. I cook it in chicken stock when I have some on hand. I also like to add in fresh minced garlic.

The finished meal. You know I can't stand for my food to touch!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yummy!!! i am gonna have to try that!! I can't stand for my food to touch either! glad that I finally found someone that has that in common with me..drives me crazy if juices touch my other food too.