Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cheap Meal on a Budget


Ok, for those of you who know me, you know I can't stand to cook. However, we've been trying to cut down on our eating out lately, so I've been trying to do a little more. I am also trying to use what we already have at our house with a couple of small purchases. Yesterday, I made what I call "Weeknight Cheese Quiche." It was simple, and you can change it up easily with the different ingredients you already have at home.



Weeknight Cheese Quiche

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sliced freshed mushrooms
1 package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
4 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cub miracle whip (I used regular mayo)
1 cup shredded mozerella cheese
1 frozen pie crust- thawed (I left this out because I don't like pie crust)
1/4 cup bacon bits (I used the microwave bacon I already had in the fridge
As you notice, most of these are things you probably already have on hand. I spent $4.38 buying the mushrooms and spinach. I had everything else. Pretty cheap, huh?
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook mushrooms in skillet sprayed with cooking spray on med/high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add in spinach.
3. Beat eggs, milk, and dressing in medium bowl with whisk until well blended. Add spinach mixture and cheese. Pour into crust (or baking dish, as I did) and top with bacon.
4. Bake for 50 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown.
**I added more cheese to the top with about 5 minutes left to cook (just long enough for it to melt).

No comments: