Saturday, November 28, 2009

Show Us Your Life- Christmas Traditions

Over at Kelly's Korner, this week's topic for Show Us Your Life is Christmas Traditions. One thing we do as a family is attend the candlelight Christmas Eve service at church. It is very moving. Our church has two services, one at 6:00 pm and one at 11:00 pm. We usually try to make it to the 6:00 service so the kids get into bed at a decent time. We have special music, then we all get our candle and make a circle around the sanctuary. We sing Silent Night as everyone is passing the lights around. It is a beautiful sight to behold. Two years ago, a very good friend of ours, Rhonda Ellis, used Mac as "Baby Jesus" as she sang a beautiful song. When I get a chance, I will upload the video of that.

Another Christmas tradition we have is that the kids and I bake Jesus a birthday cake on Christmas Eve. I let them make all the decisions about the cake...the flavor of cake, icing, even the decorations. On Christmas morning, we get up and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus, then they get to eat the cake for breakfast. Not the greatest breakfast, but I never want my children to forget the real reason for Christmas.

No comments: