Thursday, June 28, 2012

I love chalkboard spray paint!!!

Today, I decided that Emma and I would have some craft time because Mac was at a friend's house. I had seen on several blogs that chalkboards were very "in" right now, so I decided to make some. Emma and I headed to Hancock's Fabric just to look, and we lucked upon a rack of scrapbook stickers for $1 each. We also looked at ribbon to hang 2 of the chalkboards (the ones for Emma and Mac's bedroom doors), and the ribbon was 50% off. We spent a total of a little over $8 at Hancocks, then ran to WalMart to find chalkboard spray paint. It was $3. We headed over to the Dollar Tree to look for cheap picture frames and bought 2. My total spending today was $13, and this...

is what I bought!!

I started out only going to make 2 chalkboards, one for Mac's door and one for Emma's door. I decided to leave Mac's frame (which was actually a mirror) the brown color it was because his room is decorated in camo. I took the mirror out and gave it 2 coats of the chalkboard paint, put it back together, and decorated it with a few of the stickers. I also added brown ribbon to it to hang it with. The finished project for Mac's room...





I also worked on Emma's board. Her picture frame was black, and she wanted it white. I spray painted it white (with paint I already had at home) and sprayed the glass from the frame with the chalkboard paint. Once it was all dry, we put it back together and added zebra ribbon to hang it with. I let her decorate with the stickers. Her finished project...



I remembered that I had a few extra frames in my closet that we weren't using, and I decided that they would look cute as chalkboards, too. I only took a picture of one of those. I am planning on using it as a menu board in my kitchen...



Overall, I had a great time doing this project, and I play on doing more!! 

No comments: