Saturday, May 8, 2010

Show Us Your Life- Kids' Names

Kelly over at Kelly's Korner Blog is hosting her weekly "Show Us Your Life" this week and it's all about your kids' names or your future kids' names. As we all know, there will be no future kids for the Martin clan (although I would LOVE more!!)but there are stories behind my children's names!!

Emma Grace Martin (6 years old): Emma is named after my paternal great-grandmother. The older Emma also had red-hair like my Emma. I don't remember much about her. Actually, my only memory of her is going to her house and sitting on her porch with her. Even though Emma is a very popular name (it's #2 on the list this year following Isabella), that's not why we chose it. I remember when I was pregnant with Emma. Randall was being ready to deploy to Iraq, and I told him we had to choose names for the baby BEFORE he left because I couldn't stand to call the baby "it." We picked Emma, and he liked how Grace flowed with it.

Mac Patton Martin (3 years old): Both Mac's first and middle names come from family names. Mac is after Randall's maternal grandfather, whom Randall was very close to. I never met him because he passed away before Randall and I even met, but from what I understand, he was a very loving man. We did change the spelling a bit (from Mack to Mac). Patton is after my maternal grandfather. It's actually my mom's maiden name. My grandparents had 4 girls (all 2 years apart), so they didn't have a boy to carry on the name. I always told them growing up that Patton would be in my son's name, and it is!!

Other Names I Like: There are several other names I would've liked to have used for children's names: Sidney (boy) or Sydney (girl)...after my paternal grandfather and my dad, Spencer (after my dad's cousin), Mandi Lee (after my materal great-grandmother), and Charlie (boy) or Charley (girl) after my maternal great-grandfather).

No comments: